abuse is

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I take it that you understand "to make a point [about something.]", e.g. "I could make a point here about the price of food."

I will also assume that you know that if something in a person's character is described as "close to the surface", then you know that this means that it takes little provocation for it to be shown.

Does it help if I now rearrange the sentence:

I could make a point here about how close (i.e. what a short distance) gendered abuse is to the surface.

Dear friends,

Here is from this article
    What (not) to do if someone crashes into the back of your car | Emma Brockes

I could make a point here about how close to the surface gendered abuse is, particularly from harmless-looking southern gentlemen – but I guess, on balance, best not.

I can't figure out its meaning. What is the author's point?
    She is saying, "I could talk about sexism and sexist abuse, here; it's pretty obvious, just beneath a surface description. But I guess I won't {maybe she thinks that would distract from her main line of narrative}." She further suggests is a 'harmless looking...gentleman" who's the perpetrator of the abuse.

ADDED: Upon reading the article, the old guy called her a 'bitch' when it was clearly his fault, running into her car. He was a misogynist, she thinks.

ADDED: Upon further reading, what she's doing is NOT lecturing us about sexist abuse because she's lost the moral high ground (advantage). Her friend kicked his car and she called him a jerk, so she's not in a position to preach!

Last edited:

lekal

Chinese
    Thank you very much.

Now I understand it as this:

Here my point of view is gendered abuse is easily to be shown by some people, especially some southern gentlemen, but I suggest they not show the gendered abuse.

Right?

Thank you very much.

Now I understand it as this:

Here my point of view is gendered abuse is easily to be shown by some people, especially some southern gentlemen, but I suggest they not show the gendered abuse.

Right?
    Not quite. She's saying she won't go into the topic. (The reason being her poor conduct, later in the episode.)

Rewrite2:
    Here's some sexism I could talk about in general terms; it's often just beneath the surface. The gentleman showed it. But I'm not going to go into this matter (because in the end, I embarrassed myself).

< Previous | Next >