AC, A/C = air conditioning only?

mikichan

Chinese
Hi.

I've read other similar threads but they did not answer my question.
I'd really appreciate it if you could help me figure this out.

Somehow my dictionary does not include "air conditioner" for the abbreviations.

AC, A/C = air conditioning only, or do they both mean air conditioner as well?

Also, should I read A/C as ei-cee, or ei-slash-cee?

Thank you!

• estoy_lerniendo

English - U.S. (Midwest)
    You read it as "ei-cee" (no "slash" pronounced).

In terms of distinguishing between "air conditioning" and "air conditioner," I can think of an example like "Today, I bought a new air conditioner" ("conditioning" not allowed). I personally would not say "Today, I bought a new AC."

In many cases, the distinction between "air conditioner" and "air conditioning" is not clear, for example, "Turn off the AC!" (could refer to either the air conditioner itself or the air conditioning that it produces)

But as I said, "Today, I bought a new AC" sounds strange to me, so I suppose "AC" is not valid for "air conditioner" for me.

Last edited:

estoy_lerniendo

English - U.S. (Midwest)
    There is no difference between "AC" and "A/C" in this context. For me, they only mean "air conditioning" for the reason I tried to explain above.

mikichan

Chinese
    Thank you so much estoy_lerniendo for your detailed answer.
    Sorry, I posted my last post before you have added some more to your answer.

Thank you again!

Copyright

American English
    I think he answered that as you were typing. :)

I agree – AC or A/C would refer to air conditioning for me, perhaps because the machine is a single, sometime purchase, while its function is an ongoing thing and therefore more likely to be spoken of in the normal course of events.

It may be different for air-conditioner salespeople.

djmc

English - United Kingdom
    I suppose it is because I come from England where air-conditioning is much less common. I would never talk about an AC, I would talk about an air conditioning unit if I wanted to say I had bought one. Similarly if the central heating needed replacing I would say I needed to replace the central heating or needed a new boiler. I would only recognise A/C in the context "A/C in all bedrooms" in the description of a hotel. In a British context A/C is much more common to describe an electricity supply - namely alternating current rather than D/C direct current.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    In a British context A/C is much more common to describe an electricity supply - namely alternating current rather than D/C direct current.
    I totally agree. :)
    I would avoid using A/C to mean air conditioning in any sort of British context.

vivace160

American English
    I don't (and never have) sold air conditioners, but I have no problems referring to both air conditioners and air conditioning as AC or A/C. I'm planning on moving to Florida eventually, and it feels completely natural to say I will be able to throw away our old A/Cs (window unit air conditioners) because we'll be moving into a house with A/C (air conditioning/central air).

For me, "Please turn off the A/C." can mean either "Please turn off the air conditioner." or "Please turn off the air conditioning." It depends on whether I'm asking someone to turn off a wall mounted/window unit air conditioner (without the abbreviation: "Please turn off the air conditioner.") or central air (without the abbreviation: "Please turn off the air conditioning." or even just "Please turn the air off.")

mikichan

Chinese
    Thank you, dmjc and DonnyB. Is the device called "A/C adapter?" I googled alter current, A/C, D/C but was not sure what the device was you were talking about.

Thank you vivace160!

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In a British context A/C is much more common to describe an electricity supply - namely alternating current rather than D/C direct current.
    Here, in my experience, it's just the opposite. AC and DC refer to current. I use A/C to both the system (I have A/C in my home) and the machine (when I'd like it to be cooler, I turn on the A/C).

Jhonson smith

Emglish
    As far as i am concerned i would pronounce AC or A/C bot as "ei-cee" and their meaning depends upon how we use these words in the sentence as its is explained above.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We have lots of air-conditioners here but do not use AC or A/C, which seems to be mainly North American. We clip it and say aircon (or air-con) here. Does nobody else use aircon?

A/C is also an abbreviation for account​ here.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Thank you, dmjc and DonnyB. Is the device called "A/C adapter?" I googled alter current, A/C, D/C but was not sure what the device was you were talking about.

Thank you vivace160!
    An AC adapter allows you to plug a device (such as a radio) into a wall outlet (alternating current) instead of running it on a battery (direct current).

This has nothing to do with air conditioning. AC or A/C is used for both, and this can cause confusion.

"I was trying to get my unpacking done, but the AC wasn't hooked up yet and it was hot. I tried to listen to my boombox, but the batteries were low and I couldn't find the AC adapter. I was tired and frustrated so I just went out to get a beer."

Hitchhiker

English-US
    We have lots of air-conditioners here but do not use AC or A/C, which seems to be mainly North American. We clip it and say aircon (or air-con) here. Does nobody else use aircon?

A/C is also an abbreviation for account​ here.
    In South African English aircon is very common and it is usually written, aircon.

This is not used in American English.

kategogogo

Japanese Mandrain bilingual
    Sorry to be a pain, but I'm curious to know is there a difference between A/C unit (air conditioning unit) and A/C (air conditioning)?

Thank you:)

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    A/C unit (air conditioning unit) is a single machine. (e.g. What's that ugly box on your wall? - It's the air conditioning unit.)
    A/C (air conditioning) is the entire system, or the result it gives. (e.g. Does your house have air conditioning?)

< Previous | Next >