ac [abbreviation 'account']

Discussion in 'English Only' started by elearn, Feb 4, 2013.

1. elearn Member

Mandarin
    Hi,

Is it common for english speaking countries to use "ac" as short form for "account"? e.g. bank ac, forum ac

Thanks

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    The usual abbreviation is acct. I suppose there are instances where total brevity is required when Ac would be understood in the right context.

3. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I think in BrE, a/c is an accepted abbreviation for account. For example, I cross my cheques and write 'A/c Payee Only'. (See this image, for example.)

See also:
    A/C to date

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  4. To quote my answer to this question in another forum:

When in doubt, write the word out in full; you don't need to spend several minutes pondering how to save one second — the time it takes to make the few extra keystrokes.

Rover

5. velectro

velectro Member

Bologna
    Italian - Italy
    Would be helpful to have the context of sentence, ac for example could mean "Alternate current" as well.

6. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I'm very sensitive to context, but I don't think we would have an "alternating current account." :)

7. velectro

velectro Member

Bologna
    Italian - Italy
    Not for sure. I'm sorry If it was not clear, it was just an example to underline that the same acronym has different meanings in different contexts. Even account in different context has different meanings: email account, bank account, fiscal account etc.... thus have the context would make our replies more accurate.

8. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I think the original was pretty clear: Is it common for english speaking countries to use "ac" as short form for "account"? e.g. bank ac, forum ac

I didn't imagine that there would be a different abbreviation for "account" depending on whether it's a bank account or email account or fiscal account. Do you think so?

9. R1chard Senior Member

UK
    British English
    In British English 'A/C' is an accepted abbreviation for any sort of financial account but it's rare for it to be written into a formal sentence.

I don't think I have seen it apply to, for example, email accounts.

10. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    As you may have concluded by now, there is no single answer for all English-speaking countries - just as there is no single answer to many other language questions for all English-speaking countries. The short form ac for account is not used in U.S. English (American English, AE). As Copyright posted, we use acct. Others have said that it is used, perhaps with a slash in the middle as a/c, in British English (BE). You may get different answers from Canadians, Australians, and so on (though I don't know how many different answers there can be to a question that must be answered by "yes" or "no," after both of those have been said).

P.S. The word "English" is always written with an initial capital E.

11. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Before posting here, please read the original question and post #8. We do not need to know alternative meanings for the abbreviation AC, ac or A/C that have nothing to do with account.