Académie des Beaux-Arts

< Previous | Next >

lobelia.ophrys

French
Hello everybody,

Just a (silly maybe?) question...

Would you say "I attended the Académie des Beaux-Arts" or "I attended the Academy of Fine Arts"?

I ask this, because on Wikipedia I found the two possibilities and I'm must say that I'm a bit lost and confused!

Thank you in advance!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    These days we usually leave things like that in the original, even when the meaning is obvious to an English-speaker: the Paris Conservatoire, the Académie Française, the Gare du Nord.

Chez

English English
    I basically agree with entangledbank, but is this for something like a CV or letter to a potential employer?

I'd say:
    I attended the Académie des Beaux-Arts (the French Academy of Fine Arts in Paris). Just to be perfectly clear.

lobelia.ophrys

French
    I basically agree with entangledbank, but is this for something like a CV or letter to a potential employer?

I'd say:
    I attended the Académie des Beaux-Arts (the French Academy of Fine Arts in Paris). Just to be perfectly clear.
    Nope, it's not for a CV or something like that... it's for a biography actually ;-)

The Académie des Beaux-Arts is indeed the French one, but I'm referring to the Belgian one. In French it's "Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts" which is the equivalent than the one in Paris.

Chez

English English
    OK, but if it's for English readers I still think the explanation in brackets is a good idea (especially as I immediately thought you meant the French one!)

entangledbank

Oh, this is naming famous Belgian buildings, is it? Well I hear broadcasts from the Théâtre de la Monnaie sometimes. In a book, a biography, you could translate in brackets if it's a Czech name, but for a French name, there's no need. The original should be understood. But I suppose it's always polite to translate on the first mention.

lobelia.ophrys

French
    Oh, this is naming famous Belgian buildings, is it? Well I hear broadcasts from the Théâtre de la Monnaie sometimes. In a book, a biography, you could translate in brackets if it's a Czech name, but for a French name, there's no need. The original should be understood. But I suppose it's always polite to translate on the first mention.
    Exactly... it's a bit like the Théâtre de la Monnaie in Brussel, indeed ^_^

Ok, so I keep the French name and as Chez said, people might be confused and think I'm referring to the Académie des Beaux-Arts in Paris. So maybe I should say "the Belgian Académie des Beaux-Arts"? Or there is no need, since, in this biography, I mention I'm from Belgium at the begining?

What's your opinion?

Thank you VERY MUCH for your help though!

Chez

English English
    What about 'the Académie des Beaux-Arts, Brussels.'?

I'm making a huge assumption that it is in Brussels, but replace with name of correct location, if not.

Linkway

British English
    What about 'the Académie des Beaux-Arts, Brussels.'?
    Shouldn't they use the full title: Académie royale des beaux-arts de Bruxelles.

As well as the actual words, note the correct capitalisation.

Myridon

English - US
    Shouldn't they use the full title: Académie royale des beaux-arts de Bruxelles.
    For many Americans, that would have to be Académie royale des beaux-arts de Bruxelles in Brussels.
    I had to look up etb's "obvious" Gare du Nord (I got the "of the North" part).
    Why not "OF" Brussels??
    If there's a Something of Brussels, I might assume that it is one of a chain of Somethings rather than a unique entity.

Chez

English English
    Don't agree with Linkway's capitalisation (or lack of).

The title of the academy should have initial capital letters, in my view.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Don't agree with Linkway's capitalisation (or lack of).

The title of the academy should have initial capital letters, in my view.
    Linkway's description, including capitalization of lack thereof, is exactly as in the Académie's official website, and they presumably know how they want it presented.

Language Hound

American English
    Linkway's description, including capitalization of lack thereof, is exactly as in the Académie's official website, and they presumably know how they want it presented.
    Yes, but that website is in French, isn't it?
    In English, in AE at least, I would definitely write it "Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts."
    It is written that way on the English-language websites I have visited.
    In English, I would say or write:
    I attended the Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts (the Royal Academy of Fine Arts) in Brussels.

entangledbank

I'm for using English capitalization. The words "the Académie Française" in Google Books throw up lots of both uses, but a definite majority for an English-style capital F. Leaving a name untranslated isn't the same as leaving it with its original punctuation, grammar etc., which can cause inconvenience in English writing.

< Previous | Next >