academic career

gnihs

China: Cantonese;Traditional Chinese
Write a brief summary about yourself. You may wish to include information about your academic career, your interests, your future hopes and plans.

What does "academic career" mean in this paragraph? I think that it is supposed that I would like to be a professisor or something. But I also think that it is wrong in the context because it is just a question for applying exchange program. What do you think?

• pen22

English - USA
    Hello!

Academic career can also mean your schooling. So in this case, you would talk about what sort of schooling you've had and if there was anything special about the schooling.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In American English, "academic career" and "academic record" do not mean the same thing.

Your "academic career" is basically your education, as others have said.
    Your "academic record" is your academic performance: "She has a good academic record" = She has achieved high scores in her classes.

By the way, if I wanted to refer to a professor's career, I would say "a career in academia" or "a career as an academic" (depending on the context) but not an "academic career," probably because that phrase is so often used with the meaning explained above.

pen22

English - USA
    I agree with the post above. Here in the U.S., academic record implies how one did during his/her academic career. However, one could include the academic record as part of the academic career.

El escoces

English - UK
    I agree with the post above. Here in the U.S., academic record implies how one did during his/her academic career. However, one could include the academic record as part of the academic career.
    I guess in the UK we want to know how you did at school, not just what school you went to... :D

Aardvark01

British English (Midlands)
    Academic achievements seems common on job application forms in England. These achievements can be: 'O' Level/CSE/GCSE grades, then 'A' Levels, Bachelor or Master's Degrees, Certificate of Education... In England there are other qualifications while in other countries the qualifictions have different names and different status, according to how usable they are in an English speaking environment.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    I guess in the UK we want to know how you did at school, not just what school you went to... :D
    When a program asks about academic career, they generally want to know what subjects students have studied (because students often have a broad choice) and which school-related extra-curricular activities or sports they have participated in. This gives the coordinators a better idea which type of school, and which region of the country, a student would best be placed in.

< Previous | Next >