academic school

Hutschi

The whole sentence is: 'Although it is an academic school, the students, of which there are around 700, aged between 11 and 18, are nevertheless good at creative subjects.'

'Obwohl sie eine akademische Schule ist,
I'm not sure about akademische Schule.
Is it "Schule mit naturwissenschaftlichem Profil"?

Or is it a proper name of an English School Type?

Obwohl es eine "akademische Schule" ist, ...
Obwohl es eine Schule mit naturwissenschaftlichem Profil ist, ...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Frank78

German
    I'm not sure about akademische Schule.
    Is it "Schule mit naturwissenschaftlichem Profil"?

Or is it a proper name of an English School Type?

Obwohl es eine "akademische Schule" ist, ...
    Obwohl es eine Schule mit naturwissenschaftlichem Profil ist, ...
    Das ist schwierig zu übersetzen, wie immer, wenn es um Schulen geht.

Es scheint irgendwas zwischen "Bundesschule" (d.h. im Falle Deutschlands, nicht den Ländern, sondern dem Bund unterstehend) und "Privatschule" zu sein.

Academy schools are state-funded schools in England which are directly funded by the Department for Education and independent of local authority control. The terms of the arrangements are set out in individual Academy Funding Agreements.

Academies are self-governing non-profit charitable trusts and may receive additional support from personal or corporate sponsors, either financially or in kind.[2] They do not have to follow the National Curriculum,[3] but do have to ensure that their curriculum is broad and balanced,[4] and that it includes the core subjects of mathematics and English.

(wikipedia)

Hölbi

Banned
    German - Austria
    "Akademische Schule" doesn't sound right, unless it's the specific name of the School, nobody will really know what kind of school it is. I'd suggest using Gymnasium or even Realgymnasium if it specifies in Nature sciences, since those are the only schools in Austria that have Students from ages 11 to 18.

cubitato

English - England
    About the school, the original first part sentence was: 'Obwohl sie eine akademische Reinmädchenschule ist, die sich auf Mathe, Naturwissenschaften und Sprachen spezialisiert, sind die Schülerinnen trotzdem...' but I had to cut this part out as it was too long. :(

I was wondering if there was a word or phrase to convey an all-girls' Gymnasium? I found 'das Lyzeum' but wasn't sure if this conveyed that the school is a grammar school for children aged 11 to 18. :confused:

cubitato

English - England
    I suppose the school is academic because it focuses mainly on maths and science subjects, as opposed to creative subjects such as art and music. :)

I think I'll use Mädchengymnasium, though, as I think the school could just be described as a Gymnasium for girls. :D

Hutschi

I'd write sometimes like:
    Trotz des mathematisch-naturwissenschaftlichen Profils des Mädchengymnasiums waren die Schülerinnen/war die Ausbildung der Schülerinnen auch auf künstlerischem Gebiet gut.

< Previous | Next >