academic smile

nadanada76

Romania Romanian
Hello everyone,

I've come across this sentence and I can't make out the meaning of "academic smile".

"From critics or students who regard with an academic smile of cultivated contempt the love for their country or the faith in its greatness which distinguished such poor creatures as Virgil and Dante, Shakespeare and Milton, Coleridge and Wordsworth, no tolerance can be expected for the ingrained and inveterate provinciality of a poet whose devotion to his homestead was not merely that of an Englishman but that of a Londoner, no less fond and proud of his city than of his country."

Is it common? Can anyone tell me what it means? Thank you for your help.

• WyomingSue

English--USA
    It is not a usual phrase, but I think an "academic smile" would be the kind of sneering smile of contempt that an academic (a university professor or maybe a graduate student) would give when they see patriotism shown by people whom they think are ignorant and barely civilized.

nadanada76

Romania Romanian
    It is not a usual phrase, but I think an "academic smile" would be the kind of sneering smile of contempt that an academic (a university professor or maybe a graduate student) would give when they see patriotism shown by people whom they think are ignorant and barely civilized.
    Thank you for your explanation.

< Previous | Next >