academic standing/ranking had been sufficient

jesusguime

Banned
Chinese
She opened the letters, to discover each of them contained a letter of acceptance. It looks like her academic standing/ranking had been sufficient. She got it!

Hi,
Do both standing and ranking fit in the above and mean about the same? Thanks.

• gordon e-d

english :England
    To my mind they both fit in and are equivalent but I find both very slightly odd and I don't quite know why. I think "academic status " or "qualifications" would sound better to my ears.
    But it is not critical

lgs

The problem may be in using sufficient as a modifier for standing/ranking.

I would say "her academing standing/ranking had been acceptable. She got IN!"

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    In my mind, "standing" is an independent assessment, whereas "ranking" puts the assessment in relationship to others.

I might have a decent academic standing with above-average marks, but only a mediocre ranking in a class where everyone was quite bright.

Nymeria

English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    I think the context of the sentence makes them seem pretty similar in meaning but generally speaking, they do not mean the same thing to me.

'Academic ranking', as Nunty said, is in relation to others. So if she ranks fourth, she must do so in relation to others. There will be three persons before her on the list who have higher grades.

Good 'academic standing' just means that she has met whatever requirements have been set by the institution, including such things as passing classes, paying fees and not breaking the rules.

I agree with gordon that "status" or "qualifications" would work better but if you MUST use one of those words, I suggest, "It looks like her academic ranking had been high enough" instead of "sufficient".

< Previous | Next >