academic / university (adj)

sunnyweather

Polish
Hello,

I'd like to ask you about the right collocation.

Academic Church or University Church.

That is a Roman Catholic Church, but not a typical parish church as its main activity is the academic chaplaincy of students and university employees.
Should I use the adjective academic or university in front of the word church?

Could you help. please?

• Andygc

British English
    If it ministers to the needs of university staff and students it's a "university church". If its primary function is to train priests and theology students then I suppose it could be called an "academic church", but that's a term I have never seen.

I have to say that the term "academic chaplaincy" is meaningless to me.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    That is a Roman Catholic Church, but not a typical parish church as its main activity is the academic chaplaincy of students and university employees.
    Any canonically established church already has a name. As Parla say, you should probably just use that name.

Andygc

British English
    Any canonically established church already has a name.
    The question appears to be "What adjective collocates with 'church' in this context". The church's name and the church's description are separate things.

Great St Mary's is a church in Cambridge. It is also the University Church of the University of Cambridge. Great St Mary's is its name. "The University Church of the University of Cambridge" is one way of describing it. It is also described as "an Anglican church in a parish of the Diocese of Ely" and "part of the Greater Churches' Network". That's three descriptions, but only one name.

The OP wrote "I'd like to ask you about the right collocation." The answer is "university", not "you should use whatever the church calls itself."

< Previous | Next >