Academic writing - capital C for chapter 7?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by That's Capital, Feb 22, 2010.

1. That's Capital Senior Member

English-Ireland
    I'm learning a lot here today...

If I am referring to another chapter in a body of work, for example:

This will be discussed in further detail in chapter 7.

Does chapter get a capital C?

Thanks!

2. Michel09

Michel09 Senior Member

New York, NY
    français - France
    I would capitalise it, if yes, the chapter is a subsequent chapter in the same work. I think that may be a matter of opinion, however.

3. That's Capital Senior Member

English-Ireland
    Thanks Michel. That's my inclination so I'll run with it.

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    It all depends whether "Chapter 7" is the title of the chapter. If the title is something like

7. The Framus in Society

then absolutely not.

English is still English, regardless of whether it's academic.

5. cheetrowe

cheetrowe Senior Member

New Jersey
    English/USA
    Wow this quite an old thread that I happened to stumble upon, but I think it is still worth responding in case anyone is looking for this answer because it depends on which style you are using.

The word chapter is not capitalized in APA (APA 6th ed., section 4.17), Chicago (16th ed., section 8.178), MLA (7th ed., end of section 3.6.5), or AAA (2009 guide online, section 5h). In all styles you would say, just for an example, "See chapter 7" (with no quotation marks, italics, or caps). Note that each style does use abbreviations for chapters (chap. or ch.) in certain cases, such as parenthetical citations, notes, etc. See the respective style guides for details. I don't remember AMA's or Oxford's off the top of my head and of course there are other guides, but those are the major ones, at least in the US. Hope that helps anyone in the future looking at this thread. :)

6. Jackhall New Member

English
    It must be with Capital C. In academic writing we should consider it as highlighted character.

7. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    It's a matter of style. As cheetrowe points out, in APA style it would not be capitalized. Jackhall, who presumably does not use APA style, would capitalize it. sdgraham would look at how it's used.

If you are following a specific style guide, whether it's APA or any other guide, do what it says. If you're not, it's up to you. Someone in this thread will tell you that you chose correctly. Someone else will tell you that you didn't.

8. cheetrowe

cheetrowe Senior Member

New Jersey
    English/USA
    I agree with Egmont. I'm wondering if Jackhall was referring to the word as it appears in the actual chapter title. In the styles I mentioned in my post above, the word would be capitalized in the actual chapter title (e.g., Chapter 2: Literature Review), capitalized if it is the first word in a sentence (e.g., "Chapter 2 presents the literature."), and lowercased if it occurs within a sentence (e.g., "In chapter 2, I discuss the literature.").

Different styles might ask for something else. For instance, academic journals and other publishers often have their own preferences for word usage, capitalization, etc. I'd say the best idea is to check the applicable guidelines and follow them unless there is a compelling reason not to (and for this particular issue, I'm having trouble remembering any case when I did need to deviate from the applicable guideline).