academic

Masis

Bulgarian
Whether Army Group North could have conquered Leningrad is one of history’s unknowns. The question is also academic – the fact is that Hitler ordered von Leeb’s men to halt short of the city.

Hello. Please help me with the word academic. I translate it like theoritical. But maybe I am wrong. Thanks.

• ace02nc

English - United States
    That's a pretty good translation for this example. Since no one knows what would have actually happened, all we can do is debate it in an academic setting (hypothetical essays, strategies, etc) as opposed to the battlefield.

charisma_classic

English, U.S.A.
    According to the freedictionary.com site, "academic" can mean "theoretical" or "having no practical purpose or use". Both make sense in this case. It's a theoretical questions... and the answer really doesn't matter anyway.

Masis

Bulgarian
    Thank you. So I am right with mine translation and I am very happy of this fact:).

mommyteacher

English - United States
    The question is academic because von Leeb's men never tried to conquer Leningrad; they stopped short of the city. There are absolutely no facts to weigh as evidence either in their favor, or against them, such as, how many men were lost, or how close they came to success. Therefore, the issue is one of opinion only - there is no way to determine a "right" answer. This is what makes it academic.

< Previous | Next >