Academic

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
I was watching good ol' Love Boat, and in that episode I was seeing a boy ran away, and he was supposed to have met his parents coming to pick him up at the next port.

When they learned his parents were not there. Somebody said, "Well, it's now academic."

Does this mean his paretns coming to collect him is now useless? I feel a little uneasy with this.

Hiro/ Sendai, Japan

• cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Did you do the usual (and required by the rules) forum search before posting, HSS?

Dimcl gave this very useful definition of "it's academic" in a previous thread on the subject:

"It may be theoretically true/correct/etc. but it doesn't really matter because it's not going to change anything or have an effect on the outcome."

Here is the thread, which I found by typing it's academic (both words at once) into the Dictionary Look-up box at the top of the page:

It's academic now

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Did you do the usual (and required by the rules) forum search before posting, HSS?
    Thanks, cycloneviv.

Yes, and no. Yes, I checked the eight dictionaries I had on my desk at the moment, and only typed "academic" at the top of the page and, seeing several entries, I falsely assumed they were pretty much the same as those I found in my dictionaries. And no, not to the extent you did. I should have gone that far. Thanks for pointing to the thread. I think he meant whether the boy's parents will come or not later does not matter because to pick their child up parents would do whatever in the best way they could but his parents didn't do that.

Again, thanks, cycloneviv!

Hiro

< Previous | Next >