Academy Award Nomination

< Previous | Next >

NHHL

Singapore-English
- I got these in an English book:

"Amazing" is the only way to describe Sandra Ditoni's portrayal of a hotel manager who saves the lives of over 300 people in a Parisian hotel. Ms. Ditoni will probably find herself earning an Academy Award nomination."

- I know the meaning of "nomination", but I think it's redundant here, what do you guys think?

Thanks very much!

NHHL

• Michel09

français - France
    I don't think it is redundant at all. There is a difference between earning an "Academy Award" and earning an "Academy Award nomination."

NHHL

Singapore-English
    Dear Michel09 or other members!

- Could you please let me know the difference between them? :)

Thanks so much!

NHHL

Michel09

français - France
    Hi. Oops, sorry, I thought I said the difference! :)

To earn an Academy Award means that one actually has won the award. However, to earn a nomination means that one has earned the NOMINATION to win the award (that is, they are in the runnings to win the actual award).

sdgraham

USA English
    The winner of the award in each category is chosen from a number of actors who have been nominated, i.e. named as candidates.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    NHHL, perhaps the unfortunate experience of Singapore has made it seem as if "nomination" and "election" mean the same thing. However, please note that in other countries, to be "nominated" for an award or an honor or an office is certainly not considered in any way to be the same thing as being chosen or elected. In the case of the Academy Awards, there is only one winner, but that winner is chosen from five nominees.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    What was said above is true.

However, just to be nominated for an Academy Award is a great honor, whether or not the actor wins the award. That is why in the sentence in question, being nominated is mentioned as something Sandra Ditoni may earn by being "amazing".

< Previous | Next >