Academy in the name of a course

Flora8850

Chinese
I discovered a course called "Michigan Business & Entrepreneurship Academy", but I'm not sure what "Michigan" and "Academy" refer to in the course.
As far as I am concerned, Academy means "an official org. , a school or a college". I feel confused it includes "Academy" in the course name when it is just about "Business & Entrepreneurship", as it seems to discuss "the academy“. Or can I understand this as "The Academy at University of Michigan: Business & Entrepreneurship"?

Can anyone explain this? Thanks!!

Source: University of Michigan > Academic Options

• S1m0n

English
    These are non-credit summer courses taught as a money-maker by the university. They are using "Academy" because it sounds impressive, but the meaning is vague. Other terms like 'degree', 'diploma', & 'university' all have strictly-defined meanings in a university context. The school is trying to entice businessmen to spend large sums of money for something that can't lead to any qualification, so they're throwing in impressive sounding words that will look impressive on the student's resume.

Flora8850

Chinese
    That makes sense, though it may sound strange if we put "Academy" < --- > in the name of the course. Thank you!
    These are non-credit summer courses taught as a money-maker by the university. They are using "Academy" because it sounds impressive, but the meaning is vague. Other terms like 'degree', 'diploma', & 'university' all have strictly-defined meanings in a university context. The school is trying to entice businessmen to spend large sums of money for something that can't lead to any qualification, so they're throwing in impressive sounding words that will look impressive on the student's resume.
    < Chinese removed from English Only. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

kentix

English - U.S.
    From reading it, I don't think it is the name of a unit of the university. It's simply the name of the course. A similar example might be seminar. It's a self-contained academy that is created on the first day of the course and disappears after the last day. It's similar to the currently popular training style called a boot camp. You intensively learn about many aspects of an entire topic in one intense self-contained course. It's not part of a series.

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    These are (expensive) summer programs for high school students that give a certificate at the completion of the program.
    'Michigan" refers to the University of Michigan, which runs the program. 'Academy' is a fairly common word for a summer program; it's different from a college or a school because it's a self-contained program that is run by a university (when it's operating in the summer) but does not award degrees.

Flora8850

Chinese
    T
    These are (expensive) summer programs for high school students that give a certificate at the completion of the program.
    'Michigan" refers to the University of Michigan, which runs the program. 'Academy' is a fairly common word for a summer program; it's different from a college or a school because it's a self-contained program that is run by a university (when it's operating in the summer) but does not award degrees.
    Great thanks!

< Previous | Next >