Accedere al passato

jual

Italy-Italian
Hello everyone, I need to translate this expression fom a very complicated Italian essay, and I really don't know what the best choice could be. The meaning I need to convey is how to "accedere" (access? reach? get to?) the past in order to bring out memories - so it's a metaphorical "access".
Thanks for your help!

• jual

Italy-Italian
    I'm gonna answer in English so that everybody can understand. I didn't write the whole sentence because the text is so complicated that I don't think it's going to be useful (you'd have to read it all to understand what he's talking about! ;)), anyway here it is:

"L'autore muove le sue riflessioni contro la prospettiva storicistica ed illustra le modalità di accesso al passato in termini di distruzione, di attualità e di citazione.
    "

I wanted to use 'accedere'because I've changed the sentence this way:

"The author states his position against the historical perspective and explains the modalities through which we can (access?) past, in terms of destruction, present-time and citation."

Anyway, the point is the one I wrote before: we're talking about "accessing" our own past in order to bring out forgotten memories.

Thank you!

k_georgiadis

English (AE)
    I don't understand entirely what this means (especially about the relevance of destruction), but here are a couple of suggestions besides access (which, by the way, is correct):

the methods by which we can tap into the past
    the methods by which we can travel back into the past

jual

Italy-Italian
    I don't understand entirely what this means (especially about the relevance of destruction), but here are a couple of suggestions besides access (which, by the way, is correct):

the methods by which we can tap into the past
    the methods by which we can travel back into the past
    Yes I know it's kinda hard to understand if you haven't read the rest of the text (well even if you did, actually...I'm not sure myself what it means exactly :)). Anyway, thank you very much for your suggestions (I like 'tap into'!).
    By the way, just out of curiosity, why is 'method' better than 'modalities' in this context? Does 'modality' have a different meaning than 'modalità'?
    Thanks again!!

k_georgiadis

English (AE)
    Modality is a perfectly valid term; I just thought that method was easier to understand for the common man.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >