"Acceleration lanes"

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
Are those the lanes where cars/airplanes accelerate ?

Is this the exact phrase ?

  • Harry Batt

    Senior Member
    USA English
    I've always called them merging lanes. They are the lanes that continue for a distance which gives the car coming on to a multi-lane highway a chance to increase his speed and judge where he can safely pull into the moving traffic. I don't know what they call them in the UK, though I've driven there many times. Some drivers should not drive on freeways or motorways because they don't accelerate their speed in order to keep up with traffic when they enter the main highway lanes.
    < Previous | Next >