Accent identification

< Previous | Next >
There is a game called American Mcgee's Alice. Made a really really long time ago (I can't remember the exact date) its a game about Alice going insane and having to go fix Wonderland which will in turn fix herself.

What I cant figure out is what accent Alice uses in the game. Sadly she, and possibly the rabbit, are the only ones who use the accent, so I dont have a good idea of what it would sound like with other people. Does anyone have any idea what accent it is that Alice speaks in the game?

And by the way, the reason I want to know is because I want to sound like her. I've never much liked these south-eastern American accents i've grown up with.

Last edited:
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    If memory serves, it's a refined or cultured British accent. I'm certain a BE speaker could be more precise or provide a more "standard" description. (And probably tell us that it was an execrable accent faked by some American voice actress...)

Last edited:

ewie

English English
    Well, having just sat through 9,000 hours of trailers on YouTube in which Alice didn't say a bloody word, I finally found one where she did ... sounded like Pure American to me, though perhaps American Lite:D

ewie

English English
    Well, I watched Village of the doomed (all 3billion hours of it, during which it was mainly cats/gnomes/stuff talking at Alice), but from the little she did say in that, I'd call it fairly posh but not frightfully posh British English spoken by a Brit.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Strangely enough, the voice actress in the video game is British, but the accent she uses in the game doesn't sound at all British to me. I assumed it was someone North American, possibly Canadian, doing something like a cultured British accent. Perhaps she was instructed to make it a bit of a "cross-over" accent, to appeal to a North American audience.

As far as I know, there aren't any accents native to North America that sound so calm and formal. It may or may not be British (or even a real accent which is what I'm starting to think) but I strongly doubt it's North American in anyway.

Well if no one can figure out what it is, can someone at least tell me of something similar I could learn to speak? Basically I'm looking for something that sounds high-class and sophisticated (I'm a bit of an intellectual) that could be interpreted to be rather creepy because of how calm it is (I'm also part of the American sub-culture known as 'Goth').

< Previous | Next >