accents (typographical)

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

How do you call (typographical) accents (=diacritics) in Chinese? I found the word 重音符号, which would work for Spanish, but I was wondering if the same Chinese word would be used for the accents in French? I ask because the accents in French are not there to show where the tonic accent is (重音), but are there to indicate what type of vowel it is (and it unrelated to word stress).
Thanks!

• Lamb67

China/Mandarin
    accent n(written: diacritical mark)重音符号
    zhòng yīn fú hào
    Accents are sometimes used over some vowels in French.
    法语中一些元音使用重音符号。
    Our English Chinese Dictionary
    😋

johnshen64

English

More generally (重音符号 is just one type of diacritical mark for indicating accented vowels):​

字母区别符​

yuechu

Canada, English
    Thanks for the translation, John! :)

@SimonTsai
    Oh, that web page is excellent! (It's nice to see how to explain these concepts in Chinese)
    Thanks, Simon! :)

ktdd

Mandarin - Beijing
    Yeah, accent mark is just one type of diacritical mark. Even though French is basically flat and sometimes an accent mark is just there to differentiate two words such as and la, it is still called accent aigu (acute), accent grave, accent circonflexe, isn't it?

As for the broader term, this is from the bilingual Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:
    diacritic
    /ˏdaɪəˈkrɪtɪk; ˏdaɪəˋkrɪtɪk/ n (also diacritical/-kl; -kl/) adj [attrib 作定语] mark (eg an accent, a diaeresis or a cedilla) placed above or below a written or printed letter to indicate different sounds (标於书面字母上方或下方以表示其不同发音的)变音符号(如重音符﹑ 分音符或下加符).