accentuated the 'bits' that felt strong to accentuate

translation lover

Arabic
Hi, I need to know if they mean by "bits" in this paragraph the pieces (clothes) or the parts of the clothes:
Since her debut at Celine
 two years ago, Phoebe Philo's legions of fans have gotten used to all things sleek and streamlined—be it the unadorned leather Classic box bag that launched so many imitators or the racing-stripe pants from Fall's car-inspired collection. But for Spring, Philo is thinking about shape. "It's just very sculptural, very three-dimensional," she said afterward. "We accentuated the bits that felt strong to accentuate, tried to create some new proportions.

Source: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2012RTW-CELINE

Thank you

• dmz11

English - US
    Hello translation lover,

We accentuated the bits that felt strong to accentuate, tried to create some new proportions.
    I need to know if they mean by "bits" in this paragraph the pieces (clothes) or the parts of the clothes
    I actually read that as referring to the design, especially since the sentence ends with "tried to create some new proportions." So if the clothing had wide shoulders or a strong belt, for example, it would refer to that - whatever has been accentuated. I don't think "bits" is meant literally here; it's a word you often hear casually used in British English in a way that has no specific meaning but that refers to some aspect of whatever is being discussed (your article was written in Paris, and it's fashion, so the person probably has some international influence) - in this case, the design. So I suppose, in answer to your question, that it would refer to the parts of the clothes as they relate to the overall design (I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself).

DocPenfro

English - British
    I would take the word "bits", as used here, to be synonymous with "factors" or "variables" or "aspects", i.e. a quantity or quality that is capable of being changed in a controlled manner.

< Previous | Next >