accept a mission?

JI Seun

Korean
Hi all.
Does the English expression "accept a mission" have a negative meaning?

In the past century, free market capitalism has done a lot to raise the economic prosperity of citizens in developed nations. Now, capitalism appears to be accepting an advanced mission to save our planet. With ascalating CO2 Emissions globally, we have been running an uncontrolled experiment on the only home we have.
In this context, I interpreted it as capitalism posing a threat to the earth.
Did I guess right?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    No, it says that capitalism is trying "to save our planet" (!?). If this is true - and there are many who would doubt it - I feel that it needs a word like "belatedly" or "at last" to make the sense clear.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Does the English expression "accept a mission" have a negative meaning?
    No, not at all! If you have accepted a mission to do something, you see it as something you should do, and you have decided that you will do it (or at least attempt to do so). The thing you have decided to do may be a good thing or a bad thing, but the phrase "accept a mission" is neutral.
    Now, capitalism appears to be accepting an advanced mission to save our planet.
    This says that, at least in the view of the writer, "capitalism" (meaning the business/financial world generally) has decided that it will take steps to conserve fuel, prevent destruction of forests, etc.

< Previous | Next >