Accept / admit

Trinity2000

Spanish - Argentina
Hi, I would like to know which word between admit and accept should I use in this case:

"I've _________ the comission to write the book but I don't know if my agent and I will agree on the terms."

I think the word is admit but I am not sure because accept can be followed by a noun clause or a that-clause and in the sentence it would be "the comission". Anyway, can accept be follow by a to infinitive? For example: "I accepted to write an introduction to his book." or should I use agree instead?

Thank you!

• suzi br

English / England
    Hi, I would like to know which word between admit and accept should I use in this case:

"I've _________ the comission to write the book but I don't know if my agent and I will agree on the terms."

I think the word is admit but I am not sure because accept can be followed by a noun clause or a that-clause and in the sentence it would be "the comission". Anyway, can accept be follow by a to infinitive? For example: "I accepted to write an introduction to his book." or should I use agree instead?

Thank you!
    The word you need in that gap is accepted.

In your second sentence you need agreed: agreed to write an introduction.

suzi br

English / England
    Thank you! But can I use accept when there is a "to" following it in the case of the first sentence?
    Well, you can use it here because the infinitive verb "to write" is NOT the following thing. The following thing is a noun: "the commission".

I accept the commission (to write...)
    Or
    I agree to write ...

< Previous | Next >