Accept as

< Previous | Next >

Julienjing1

Chinese
The deal included accepting members of Fark as senators.

Context: Columbian government struck a deal with Fark(Columbian opposition force, deemed as terrorist group sometimes.), and the deal allows members of the group to become senators.

I'm wondering whether ' accepting as' is idiomatic in that context, thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    It depends to some extent on whether it makes sense within the governmental system of that country. But I think “accept” is okay. Otherwise, I would suggest “admit”.

Julienjing1

Chinese
    It depends to some extent on whether it makes sense within the governmental system of that country. But I think “accept” is okay. Otherwise, I would suggest “admit”.
    That will be complicated, as I have to delve into the governmental system of that country. So I guess it is fine.

Is the similar sentence I wrote in Context also fine ?'the deal allows members of the group to become senators.'

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I presume the deal allows members of the FARC (Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia)
    to become senators through the normal process of election.
    I haven't seen your sentence with "accepting", and I don't see how "admit" works in this context either.
    (Use "fine" in reassuring someone who has doubts, but not in questions or negations. See my note below.)

Julienjing1

Chinese
    I presume the deal allows members of the FARC (Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia)
    to become senators through the normal process of election.
    I haven't seen your sentence with "accepting", and I don't see how "admit" works in this context either.
    (Use "fine" in reassuring someone who has doubts, but not in questions or negations. See my note below.)
    This is the sentence with 'accepting' : The deal included accepting members of Farc as senators.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Thanks. I think a sentence with "become" would be clearer.
    Someone could interpret "accepting members of Farc as senators" to mean
    converting all FARC members into senators and accepting that status for them.
    With "accepting", I would say something like "accepting members of the FARC as eligible to run for the senate."

Julienjing1

Chinese
    Thanks. I think a sentence with "become" would be clearer.
    Someone could interpret "accepting members of Farc as senators" to mean
    converting all FARC members into senators and accepting that status for them.
    With "accepting", I would say something like "accepting members of the FARC as eligible to run for the senate."
    Maybe what you suggested is factually correct. I thought Columbian government just made them senators without holding a campaign or anything.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I thought [the] Colombian government just made them senators
    That's the ambiguity I was referring to.
    If the deal allows them to become senators,
    it just means they are not prohibited from running for office; they have the same right as other citizens to run for office.
    Wikipedia says there are 102 senators in the Colombian senate.
    Wikipedia also says estimates of FARC membership were 18,000, 13,000, and "less than 10,000"—
    in any event, too big a number for them all to be made senators.

Julienjing1

Chinese
    That's the ambiguity I was referring to.
    If the deal allows them to become senators,
    it just means they are not prohibited from running for office; they have the same right as other citizens to run for office.
    Wikipedia says there are 102 senators in the Colombian senate.
    Wikipedia also says estimates of FARC membership were 18,000, 13,000, and "less than 10,000"—
    in any event, too big a number for them all to be made senators.
    I think the government made some members of Farc senators, not all of them. And that decision is deemed to be a strategy aimming to make peace with them.

< Previous | Next >