Acceptability of Starting with A Prepostional Phrase

< Previous | Next >

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hello, folks.

Does it sound natural to you when starting a sentence with a prepositional phrase
1.In the street, I met the man whose son had passed away and a cow of his won was stolen.
2. I met the man whose son had passed away and a cow of his own was stolen, in the street.

Thanks in advance

• Hi Ayed, as a non native I don't find natural sentence #1, expecially in speaking. I would probably say "I was in the street and I met the man...".
    I am also curious, though, to know the opinion of natives.
    Maybe "Down in the street I met the man whose son..." sounds better to me, but I'm still in the realm of pure speculation...

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Prepositional phrases at the start of a sentence are idiomatic and a very important part of English. English depends, to a large extent, on the order of words, phrases, and clauses.

A prepositional phrase is used at the start of a sentence to "set the scene" - to show when, how, where, etc., something is happening.

1.In the street, I met the man whose son had passed away and a cow of his won was stolen. = you were in the street when you met this man.
    2. I met the man whose son had passed away and a cow of his own was stolen, in the street. = the man's son had died in the street and his cow had been stolen in the street.

< Previous | Next >