Acceptable document

MUIDERBERG

ENGLISH
Hi.

This is a document telling people about the different documentation they can provide as proof of residency. I am trying to translate the following sentence:

Acceptable document with current name and address in the precinct:

This is my attempt at it:

Un documento aceptable que contenga el nombre y la dirección actual de residencia dentro del distrito electoral:

Is "documento aceptable" the appropriate translation or would it sound better to say " documento admisible"?

Please let me know your thoughts. Neither seems right to me.

• juandiego

Spanish from Spain
    Both options seem right to me as far as Acceptable document is not refering to a some kind of specific official document that claims those data as certain, as it seem to be. If this latter is the case, I would not say they are wrong but just not precise enough and to add something like "oficial" would make it clearer.

MUIDERBERG

ENGLISH
    Hi, Juan Diego. Thank you for your prompt reply.

The documentation they can provide can be anywhere from a driver's licence to a student ID.

Would you recommend I use the word "oficial"? Please let me know your thoughts. Maybe the best option would be to remove the word "acceptable" and leave the remaining sentence as is?

I appreciate your help.

juandiego

Spanish from Spain
    You are welcome MUIDERBERG.
    Well, I think "oficial" would help; "Documento oficial aceptable/admisible". On the other hand, I don't know whether a student ID could be deemed as official.
    I think that something like:
    Documento acreditativo de la dirección actual... is more appropriate and sounds idiomatic to me for this kind of request.

EDIT:
    Check acreditativo on the WR dictionary.

< Previous | Next >