acceptable to - acceptable for

Sovi

Hello!
I have a doubt:
"A solution acceptable to all the people involved" or "A solution acceptable for all the people involved"
My doubt is this: is one of the two better, more correct or a pure mistake?
If both are correct do they have different meanings?
Thank you for your help
Ciao
SV
:)

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Both are used, but in different contexts.
    For lots of current media examples, look at:
    acceptable to
    acceptable for

Usually, to is used when what follows is a person or something that could accept or not accept the subject, as in the topic example and these:
    Asked whether those changes are acceptable to the Armenian side
    no readymade solution would be acceptable to the people of Kashmir

But occasionally for is used, and seems OK.
    Laliashvili said commenting on Boden's visit to Georgia that it is possible to take several unacceptable provisions from Boden's plan for it to be acceptable for both Sukhumi and Tbilisi.

Hello!

"A solution acceptable to all the people involved" or "A solution acceptable for all the people involved"

I would say "the solution is acceptable to all people who are involved in..."

If you are speaking about some solution it has to be "the solution", not any solution but some specific solution. That it is why it is "the solution".

We use "acceptable to" and "available to".
    In my opinion you don't need "the people (like the people of the country) but "people". Additionally, I would say ...to all people who are involved....

Cheers

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    I would say "the solution is acceptable to all people who are involved in..."

If you are speaking about some solution it has to be "the solution", not any solution but some specific solution. That it is why it is "the solution".

We use "acceptable to" and "available to".
    In my opinion you don't need "the people (like the people of the country) but "people". Additionally, I would say ...to all people who are involved....

Cheers
    Interesting speculation, but as we have no idea what follows the text given in post #1, or indeed whether or not anything follows it, speculation is what it remains.

For example, if "A solution acceptable to all the people involved" is a noun phrase that is followed by "... must be found before Friday," then Participant's first proposal would be completely inappropriate. It could, on the other hand, be perfect.

It would be very helpful if Sovi could give us the complete sentence.

Last edited:
    For example, if "A solution acceptable to all the people involved" is a noun phrase that is followed by "... must be found before Friday," then Participant's first proposal would be completely inappropriate.
    Yeap!:)
    You are right, panjandrum. It is important to receive the whole sentence in order to give an opinion.

Thank you.

Sovi

Hello,
    Thanks for all the help, the complete sentence is:

"We had to find a solution, acceptable to all the people involved, that can grant us the respect of what we feel crucially important."

The context is a report on a project from the starting idea to the results, here I'm talking about the reasons to start this kind of project.

I've chosen "a solution" and not "the solution" 'cause at the time there was no clue about the kind of solution, we didn't even knew if there was an acceptable solution... "the solution" seems to me a bit to specific... but I may be absolutelly wrong...

Talking instead about "all the people involved" I have now the doubt ... in this case what would it be better... to all the people involved or to all people who are involved
    Thanks again

Ciao
    SV :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    We had to find a solution, acceptable to all the people involved, that can grant us the respect of what we feel crucially important.

In that sentence I would write "acceptable to" and "all the people", as above.

A few other points.
    There is a tense clash between had (past) and can/feel (present).
    You need to change either had or the other two.

Finally, the ending "... the respect of what we feel crucially important" does not make sense. The problem is the red text.

Sovi

Let's try again:

We had to find a solution, acceptable to all the people involved, that could grant us the respect of

what we felt to be crucially important.
    or
    of the parameters we felt crucially important.
    or
    of the aspects crucially important to us.
    or
    of the crucially important parameters

Does one, at least one, make sense?
    Ciao & Thanks
    SV

Murphy

English, UK
    I'm afraid the meaning of the last part of your sentence isn't clear. What do you mean by "grant us the respect of the parameters/aspects"?

You might expect to receive respect from people but not from objects or abstracts, so I'm wondering if "respect" is the right word to use here....

Sovi

Hello Murphy,
    I know what you mean... let me try to explain
    I can obey a rule,
    I can fulfill an agreement
    I can follow a suggestion
    But how can I say (possibly with a single verb) that the important parameters are considered and that the result gained is within the green-arc of these parameters?
    I was hoping that I could use respect in this sense, meaning a sum of consider, take into account and fulfill as it is possible in my own language...Italian.
    Ciao

< Previous | Next >