Acceptance and admission

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Would you be so kind as to answer me whether in order to University affairs, “acceptance” and “admission” are interchangeable concepts or not?
Example: I am really glad. Yesterday I received my (acceptance / admission) letter from the university in my question. Now I can be sure that I have been accepted / admitted from that university.
-----------------
Source: I have written this example myself.
I think in this context both of them are always interchangeable concepts.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    In this context, they are similar. Acceptance is not admission, though. Admission is the actual entry. Acceptance, which you received, is an offer of admission. You have to accept the offer, make any necessary payments, and show up in the right place at the right time. Then - and only then - you will be admitted. Informally, people often use them interchangeably, but that's not completely correct.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Thank you dear Egmont, but if
    In this context, they are similar.
    then why did you mention that:
    Acceptance is not admission, though
    --------------------------------------------
    What do you exactly mean by saying:
    Informally, people often use them interchangeably, but that's not completely correct.
    --------------------------------------------
    I guess you mean that in the above context they both are in common use these days, though this is not correct; meanwhile informally people use "admission" to indicate the meaning of "acceptance" for the matter in my question. Am I right? :)

< Previous | Next >