Acceptation/meaning/sense

Alliga

French
Hi once again !

And I am sorry if I am asking so much, but I have a lot of questions :)

I would like to know if the use of "acceptation" is acceptable in the sense of "meaning" or "sense".

For example : "The acceptation/meaning of the word 'rain' is water who falls from the sky".

Because it is in my dictionary, but I never saw it used. Is it still in use, dialectal, high register… - or not understood at all ?

Thank you very much for your reply !

• Shingo

Japanese
    Hi, Aliga!

I didn't know the word "acceptation," so I looked it up in my dictionaries.

One of them says that acceptation is "(linguistics) the meaning that a word or expression is generally accepted as having・"
    It seems like a technical term. The dictionary is OALD(Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English).

I hope it'll help you.

Hi once again !

And I am sorry if I am asking so much, but I have a lot of questions :)

I would like to know if the use of "acceptation" is acceptable in the sense of "meaning" or "sense".

For example : "The acceptation/meaning of the word 'rain' is water who falls from the sky".

Because it is in my dictionary, but I never saw it used. Is it still in use, dialectal, high register… - or not understood at all ?

Thank you very much for your reply !

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "The acceptation/meaning of the word 'rain' is water who falls from the sky".
    I can't imagine anyone saying this.
    In English: The meaning of the word "rain" is water that falls from the sky. "Who" is used only for people, not things.

Alliga

French
    Thanks for your replies, and sorry for the example, it was made up.

But… as it exists, in which case would you use the word "acceptation" in that sense then?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    But… as it exists, in which case would you use the word "acceptation" in that sense then?
    "Acceptation" is not a commonly used word. I would use it only in speaking with linguists or others I was sure would be familiar with it.

Oddmania

French
    From Wikipedia:
    2. The meaning in which a word or expression is understood, or generally received.
    .....The term is to be used according to its usual acceptation.
    It sounds like quite a formal word.

You can say "...in an inexact / open-minded / unusual / extended acceptation of the word", but you can't really say "The acceptation of X is Y".

<< Non-English removed. >>

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >