Accepting /acceptance /admission letter

sunyaer

Chinese
This is a sentence I made up myself:

"I have received an accepting /acceptance /admission letter from the university."

Which word, accepting, acceptance or admission, should be used here? Or all of them are acceptable?

• Ania R.

Polish (Poland)
    Are you talking about the letter that informs you that you have been given admission to university or the letter you send to the university when you want to apply?

sunyaer

Chinese
    What is the context? What does the letter say? What is the purpose of the letter?
    I applied to the university for studying as a undergraduate, and now I received a letter from the university saying that I have been accepted.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Does "admission letter" work?
    This is why we asked you what the letter said! ;)
    An "acceptance letter" accepts your application and offers you a place. An "admission letter", depending on the University's admission procedure, would probably describe what you needed to do in order to enrol and register as a student in readiness for starting the course.

sunyaer

Chinese
    This is why we asked you what the letter said! ;)
    An "acceptance letter" accepts your application and offers you a place. An "admission letter", depending on the University's admission procedure, would probably describe what you needed to do in order to enrol and register as a student in readiness for starting the course.
    So an "admission letter" would come following an "acceptance letter"?

Andygc

British English
    So an "admission letter" would come following an "acceptance letter"?
    Only if somebody wrote you a letter that discussed admission after you had received one about acceptance. There is no universal standard for correspondence sent in connection with the administration of university admissions.

sunyaer

Chinese
    Only if somebody wrote you a letter that discussed admission after you had received one about acceptance. There is no universal standard for correspondence sent in connection with the administration of university admissions.
    Might there be a letter stating the acceptance and describing the admission procedure in the meanwhile? What would this letter be called?

Myridon

English - US
    Might there be a letter stating the acceptance and describing the admission procedure in the meanwhile? What would this letter be called?
    The important part of this is that you have been accepted. We would probably still call it an acceptance letter. You were waiting for an acceptance letter. The fact that the acceptance letter contained some further information is not important enough to cause us to create a new name for it (every possible letter cannot have a unique name ;)).

< Previous | Next >