Accepting university? (to fill in visa application form)

Esaki Leo

Vietnamese
Hi there,

I am filling my visa application form to pursue my postgraduate study abroad.
In the section "guarantor or reference," I write the name of the university that accepts me.
What should I write in the subsection "relationship to applicant," (of the reference)?
Could I write "accepting university" or "prospective university" (or any other appropriate words)?

Thank you in advance!

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Has the university accepted your application? (That's not clear from the tense you have used, "that accepts me".) If not, I suggest 'prospective '.

Linkway

British English
    I think it more likely that you have already been offered a place at the university and are now applying for a visa.

I also do not think you can simply name the university as your reference or guarantor; I think you need to specify a person, stating their name and their position at the university.
    eg Professor Jakob Moriarty, Head of the Astrophysics Department, University of XXX.

Your academic referee might be an academic staff member as exemplified above; you may also need to specify the person who can certify that you have a scholarship or other evidence that you have enough money to cover all your academic fees (tuition) and living costs in the country that you are going to.

Good luck with your studies!

fiercediva

American English
    Hi Esaki,

I don't know if you are applying for an F1 visa to study in the U.S., but here there would be an individual who provides you with and signs a "SEVIS" form from the university showing you've been accepted, and that form accompanies the visa application. The name of that individual (whose relationship to applicant is the "Designated School Official") is the guarantor or reference, rather than the university name.

Esaki Leo

Vietnamese
    Has the university accepted your application? (That's not clear from the tense you have used, "that accepts me".) If not, I suggest 'prospective '.
    Thank you for your suggestion. I have been accepted, so I am not sure to write "prospective." It seems that in this case, the guarantor is a person, not an institution. However, a friend of mine has written the name of his university and got his visa. I am confused.

Esaki Leo

Vietnamese
    Hi Esaki,

I don't know if you are applying for an F1 visa to study in the U.S., but here there would be an individual who provides you with and signs a "SEVIS" form from the university showing you've been accepted, and that form accompanies the visa application. The name of that individual (whose relationship to applicant is the "Designated School Official") is the guarantor or reference, rather than the university name.
    Thank you for your answer. I am sorry for not providing more details. I am applying for a Japanese visa and I am instructed to send the visa application only (this applies to government scholarship recipients).

Esaki Leo

Vietnamese
    I think it more likely that you have already been offered a place at the university and are now applying for a visa.

I also do not think you can simply name the university as your reference or guarantor; I think you need to specify a person, stating their name and their position at the university.
    eg Professor Jakob Moriarty, Head of the Astrophysics Department, University of XXX.

Your academic referee might be an academic staff member as exemplified above; you may also need to specify the person who can certify that you have a scholarship or other evidence that you have enough money to cover all your academic fees (tuition) and living costs in the country that you are going to.

Good luck with your studies!
    Thank you for your kind answer and wish :)

< Previous | Next >