access controlled

chuann6

English India
One sentence is bothering me for its passive construction :

the site will be monitored by CCTV cameras and access controlled.

my try
le site sera contrôlé par les caméras de vidéosurveillance avec accès contrôlé

Or could it be

les caméras de
vidéosurveillance contrôleront le site et son accès sera également contrôlé (?)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Treat it as:

the site will be monitored by CCTV cameras, and access will be controlled, OR
    the site will be (a) monitored by CCTV cameras and (b) access-controlled.

The meaning is the same in either case - it's access to the site that is controlled.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I'm not French.

But I would hazard:
    le site sera contrôlé par les caméras de vidéosurveillance et son accès sera également contrôlé.

However, I know that French writers hate repeating a word, so wait for a native reply.

chuann6

English India
    in fact that's what I was concerned about ! eithert using contrôlé twice or surveillé and vidéosurveillance! I'm not French either so au secours locuteurs natifs !

chuann6

English India
    Right wistou, I too was thinking that a pronom personnel would be called for. But I had thought more in terms of "y" ... l'acces à ce site.
    But you think "en" would be more appropriate?

Keith, I will bear maîtrisé in mind let me put it in my pipe and smoke on it....

wistou

French - France
    Not easy, it is all about nuance, but let's try :

If you say " l'accès y sera contrôlé " you insist that " an access control will take place there " or " this is the place where the (access) control will take place "

If you say " l'accès en sera contrôlé " you insist that " access to this building will take place" or " this is the building to which access will be controlled"

hope it is not too confusing !

chuann6

English India
    Yes, I understand "y" doesn't work here. And perhaps intuitively I understand the use of en but I would nt know how to justify it. I'll just go with en, I think.

A big thanks to everyone for their contributions. :)

< Previous | Next >