access new light

< Previous | Next >

Michelle Green

Chinese
Hi all,
Does "access new light" make sense in the following sentence? It's written by my friend. Thank you!
A variety of materials for spiritual cultivation access new light and enrich your everyday spiritual life.

• Michelle Green

Chinese
    If my friend had written that, I'd ask them what they meant by it.
    The intended meaning is "bring you new light." But I'm not sure about the use of "access" in this sentence. I looked it up in dictionary, it says when "access" is used as a verb, it means to get information when using computer.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    it means to get information when using computer
    Check our dictionary: access - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    Generally the verb means to gain access to something (such as information in your example).
    In your friend's sentence, is it the materials that access the light, or do the materials help you to access the light? Presumably the latter.
    If I were your friend, I'd make it clear by changing it to: A variety of materials for spiritual cultivation that help you (to) access new light and ...

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Access" isn't only used for computers. It can mean obtain or gain entry to something, but the key thing is that whatever it is is either intangible (information, for example) or does not move (gain access to a room), and so is different from "bring" where the thing being brought does move.

In some respects "access" with "light" might work, but it does not seem to fit your situation. For a start, the light has to already be there (and you are just accessing it), which does not sit well with it being "new" light.

The obvious verb to use with light is "shine", but there is nothing wrong with your "bring".

You need to sort out the verb forms. You cannot just place a bare infinitive in that sentence, after "for".

< Previous | Next >