access

Hakkar

Italian
Sentence:...who undertook activities including participatory drama techniques to access and creatively express personal stories

Context
:In view of the increasing feminisation of the pandemic, gender relations, and violence against women, are major areas of intervention.
These tend to focus on support and empowerment for women who have suffered from rape, domestic violence and partners who have no caution.
Organisations already working on domestic violence and tackling violence again women have incorporated HIV prevention into their work, and in the process of so doing have evolved cultural approaches: Laphumi’langa (Xhosa for Sunrise) is a project developed by Mothertongue in the Western Cape, South Africa.
MotherTongue is a collective of women artists, facilitators and healing practitioners who explore practical processes of healing through the arts.
As part of their work they aim to raise awareness of the link between violence against woman and HIV/AIDS, recognising that broader gender inequalities play a role in the spread of HIV/AIDS.
The project trained 28 women affected by these issues, who undertook activities including participatory drama techniques to access and creatively express personal stories, and then to articulate issues around these themes through further outreach.

I don't understand how the word "access" relates to the whole sentence." to access " means usually "to enter" a building or something along these lines. So what does it have to do with the rest of the sentence? Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

• mangoman

British English
    I think the idea is that the women's stories of rape and domestic violence would not normally be told (because of shame and stigma), and that a special effort (participatory drama techniques and other activities) needs to be made in order to gain access to them.

This use of "to access" isn't really standard English in my opinion, but has fairly recently become common jargon in the social sciences.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >