access

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
The new terminal will be low-rise, and all access must work around the existing building, including a state-of-the-art subterranean baggage transer system.

First, could I use ways or passage to replace access here?

Second, does work around refer to go around and approach?
Thanks.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    There are three apparently distinct ideas in this sentence, making it very difficult to suggest answers to your questions.
    The new terminal will be low-rise,
    I don't see how that is relevant to the rest of the sentence.

and all access must work around the existing building,
    I don't know what "access" means here. Is it site access for the construction or access to the new terminal when it is operational?

including a state-of the art subterranean baggage transfer system.
    What does this have to do with the rest of the sentence? Is this transfer system already in place, or is it part of the new terminal?

For me, the sentence is just too complicated.

NoClue

Vietnam, Vietnamese
    Its my guess. The new terminal will be low-rise. All access to it must go through/work for the existing building. Bear in mind also that state-of-the-art subterranean baggage transfer system when you plan for the access. :D

The new terminal will be low-rise, and all access must work around the existing building, including a state-of-the-art subterranean baggage transer system.

First, could I use ways or passage to replace access here?

Second, does work around refer to go around and approach?
    Thanks.
    Hi Dandelion,

"Ways" or "passage" can't really replace "access". Perhaps "passageways" might.

"Work around" might be better as "be linked to".

Just a guess. This is a difficult sentence. :confused:

LRV

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, my dear friends, for your help, and sorry I didn't post enough context. Here is the larger context about Jet Blue Terminal:

One significant design challenge is that the new building should not be aloowed to overshadow the historic one. The new terminal will be low-rise,...,including a state-of-the-art subterranean baggage transfer system.

< Previous | Next >