accession into history

< Previous | Next >

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Does "accession into history" mean "women's place in the history" or "women's progress along the history"?

Context:
While the previous chapter suggested that fetishism can offer a conception of female sexuality beyond a phallic economy of objectification, operating instead as a mobile process of self-doubling, in this chapter I want to look mainly at the work of Mary Kelly, an Americanbased British artist interested in women’s historical condition and accession into history, which she examines through the lens of the Freudian text, as well as the re-reading of Freud that the French psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan, an affiliate of the Surrealists, undertook in the 1940s and up to his death in 1981 (Art and Psychoanalysis by Maria Walsh).​

• owlman5

English-US
    I assume that women's accession into history means that women are now represented more frequently in narratives about life and important events than they formerly were. This assumption is pretty close to your idea of women's progress along the history.*

*Women's progress in history would be a clearer way to express the idea.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    I assume that women's accession into history means that women are now represented more frequently in narratives about life and important events than they formerly were. This assumption is pretty close to your idea of women's progress along the history.*

*Women's progress in history would be a clearer way to express the idea.
    Hi Owlman. Thank you so much. And, what is your interpretation of "Jacques Lacan being an affiliate of the Surrealists"? Does it mean "he had a good and efficient relationship with surrealists"?

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Blue Apple. You are quite welcome.

And, what is your interpretation of "Jacques Lacan being an affiliate of the Surrealists"?
    It means that Lacan had some tie with the artists who identified themselves as Surrealists. That isn't surprising because psychoanalysts and surrealists were both interested in dreams and dream imagery.

< Previous | Next >