Accetta la mia vicinanza affettiva

• Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Hi mwebster, could you contextualise this phrase please? Could be something ones says when giving condolences!!!

mwebster

United States/English
    Hi Angel.Auram
    Thanks for responding. I understood the literal meaning. I was having trouble finding an equivalent phrase in English. Maybe there just isn't one.
    Mark

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I've not heard of an equivalent phrase in English. We would generally say, I feel your pain, I am with you in spirit, I understand the pain you're experiencing or something like that. Please know that I feel your pain is probably the closest I can think of right now.

monachina

English USA
    Hello mwebster,
    I would say "Please accept my sympathies" is a good translation since "sympathy" means:

"an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other; mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it; unity or harmony in action or effect; the act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another" (merriam-webster.com)

To me this means something akin to "emotional nearness".
    I hope this helps

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Hello mwebster,
    I would say "Please accept my sympathies" is a good translation since "sympathy" means:

"an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other; mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it; unity or harmony in action or effect; the act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another" (merriam-webster.com)

To me this means something akin to "emotional nearness".
    I hope this helps
    That was so obvious it didn't even occur to me! I think it's a perfect translation! :)

anglomania1

UK English
    Hi there, I need to translate something similar.
    My sentence is: con questa lettera vogliamo manifestare il nostro cordoglio e tutta la nostra vicinanza per le giovani vittime....
    I thought about saying something like "our thoughts are with you.." -it seems to be quite common in condolence letters and seems to render the idea of "nearness" (I can't be with you but my thoughts are).
    Any comments?
    Thanks,
    Anglo

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Ciao ! Volevo ringraziare un'amica per delle belle parole che mi ha detto in quanto anche lei ha vissuto in passato un'esperienza come la mia. Volevo dire 'la tua vicinanza mi fa da sostegno'. Non sto parlando di morte, ma diciamo di circostanze che riguardano la salute. Grazie per l'aiuto.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi reka - "vicinanza" is a wonderful word and it's too bad we don't use it in the same way in English. We don't speak of "nearness" - it just sounds too much like a translation. The best English equivalent I can think of is something like this:
    Knowing you are there for me is a great comfort.
    or
    Knowing you are close in spirit gives me great comfort.

I'm sure you'll get other ideas, too.

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Knowing you are there for me is a great comfort.
    :thumbsup: That's how I'd say it too.
    Agree with JFV (hi dear, hope all is well ;)), vicinanza is a difficult word to translate in this context. Maybe another option could be '...I'd be lost without your support...' or '...I am so grateful for your support...', both do without the word 'vicinanza' but they may still convey what reka39 wants to say to her friend.

EDIT : thanks Jo, bloody 'ell, must be the heat :p

Last edited:

Alsome

Italian
    Ringrazio tutti coloro che hanno risposto, dando spiegazioni utili anche per me che avevo lo stesso problema. Da quanto è stato detto ho capito che i termini inglesi " vicinity or nearness " non possono avere un significato attinente alla sfera morale o spirituale, come invece avviene per l'italiano. Correggetemi se ho capito male.

monachina

English USA
    ...Da quanto è stato detto ho capito che i termini inglesi " vicinity or nearness " non possono avere un significato attinente alla sfera morale o spirituale, come invece avviene per l'italiano. Correggetemi se ho capito male.
    We do use the term "close" in certain ways with respect to human relationships, though not, as you see in this post, when offering condolences for someone's loss.
    For example:
    The tragedy brought them closer.
    I felt so much more close to him after he shared his fears.
    Maria and Valeria are really close friends (i.e. best friends who share experiences, secrets, etc.)

< Previous | Next >