accidental double suffix

Raigeki

Danish
Imagine if your first name or last name ends in ~kun, ~san, ~chan or even ~sama.

If my last name was ... say, Ousama, would Japanese people call me "Ousama-san"? Wouldn't the double suffix cause confusion? And will people laugh when I literally intoduce myself as 王様 (おうーさま)?
Also, if it was my first name, wouldn't my close friends (or even enemies) think it's weird to address me by my first name in casual conversations because it basically means "mighty king"? I mean, they would have to call me Ou-sama no matter what.

• hanako52

Japanese
    If your last name was 王様, I would call you 王様さん.

If your first name was 王様 and you were a close freind of mine, I would probably call you 王様, 王様くん, or 王様ちゃん.

Riccardo91

Italian
    [...] wouldn't my close friends (or even enemies) think it's weird to address me by my first name in casual conversations because it basically means "mighty king"?
    Well, I can't speak for Japanese mothertongues, but usually things like names and surnames are perceived differently from the other parts of speech. Would you feel strange addressing Stephen King just because of his surname? ^^

Unless it's very very weird, I think nobody will just mind, and even in that case it would be only a matter of time.

Bye!

Raigeki

Danish
    Oh okay, thank you! :D

Maybe it's just because English isn't my first language but I think "Stephen King" is a really weird name because of the King-part. I come from Denmark and if any part of your name even just SOUNDS like a real word, people will mention it and joke about it throught your entire life, haha.

< Previous | Next >