accoglienza agli immigrati

sciarada

Italian; Italy
Hi all,
How to say accoglienza meaning accoglienza agli immigrati o società di accoglienza?
The context is that professionals need to be trained in the accoglienza agli immigrati.

Thanks a lot!

• BRO'C

English
    Welcome or Welcoming works. Una società di accoglienza is a welcoming committee.

Silvia

Italian
    sciarada said:
    Hi all,
    How to say accoglienza meaning accoglienza agli immigrati o società di accoglienza?
    The context is that professionals need to be trained in the accoglienza agli immigrati.
    In una frase?

sciarada

Italian; Italy
    Ciao Silvia!
    Cosa intendi per in una frase? Qual'è la frase che devo tradurre? O se la parola accoglienza può essere resa con una parafrasi inglese?
    Beh, intanto di scrivo la frase che dovrei tradurre:
    Mettere in atto progetti che facilitino l'accoglienza dei migranti sia da parte dei servizi socio-assistenziali che della società ospitante.
    Spero sia questo quel che chiedevi!

Silvia

Italian
    Credo che reception sia la parola giusta allora. But wait for some other opinions from native English speakers.

solfro

Italian
    Hi,

I am looking for a better translation of the Italian "accoglienza" with the English word "welcoming". The translation should give in English the same idea as the Italian accoglienza in the specific meaning of welcoming a child in a (new) family. This is the case when a family adopts a child, i.e. gives him/her a family thus enforcing his/her right to become (again) son or daughter. It may also be the case of children given temporarily to a family (fostering), when it seems possible to allow him/her to come back to his/her original family after a period to "reconstruct" the family from the point of view of the familiar feelings.
    I feel that "welcoming" does not represent completely the bulk of the gift which a family offers to children without their own family, always waiting within institutions for orphans and so on.
    Can you help me? Thanks in advance!
    Solfro

IkHouVanPulcino

Italian
    The verb accogliere sounds good to me, in a context like that, but as you said, accoglienza sounds a bit like the accoglienza in a hotel. Could you maybe give a specific sentence?

Simona

Saoul

Italian
    I think the problem was the other way round. Solfro reckons the verb "to welcome" is not as specific as "accogliere".
    I would like to know what do Natives think about it, because in my humble opinion, I sense "to welcome" as warm and loving as "accogliere".

solfro

Italian
    Ciao Simona, grazie per la tempestività. Stiamo cercando di tradurre in inglese il fatto che siamo un gruppo di "famiglie accoglienti". Il termine accoglienza ha sicuramente una connotazione di ispirazione cattolica.
    Siamo famiglie accoglienti perchè diamo ai nostri figli adottivi ben di più della "assistenza" (care, in inglese) che ricevono negli orfanotrofi del mondo da cui li tiriamo fuori. Accoglienti siamo noi genitori e famiglie che accogliamo un nuovo figlio, ma accoglienti sono anche i nostri bambini, che ricevono il nostro dono, che pone fine al loro abbandono.
    Grazie.
    Solfro

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Solfro,
    I understand what you're looking for - the "feeling" - but I'm not sure it can be said in one word. Let me see if I can give you other things to think about:

warm embrace
    acceptance
    warm welcome
    warm reception
    our welcome guest
    welcoming (as you have said)

If you are talking about accepting a child into a new family, then perhaps:

We warmly embrace our new family member.
    You are a part of our family.
    Our gift.
    Our blessed gift.
    We offer a warm reception into our family.

Maybe if you had a specific Italian sentence, we might be able to think a bit more about it.

solfro

Italian
    Dear TimLA,

thank you very much for your quick suggestion, both as regards the general translation of the term "accoglienza" and its specific application to the case of adopting children or hosting them in a family (as in the case of a temporary fostering, which is another way to children out of institutes allowed by Italian law, although it is often misused by the courts).

However, rather than giving you a specific Italian phraseology, the point is that the concept which we are trying to express is that the "accoglienza" should be the attitude of a family open to grant abandoned children a warm acceptance into a (new) family. Either in the case of adoption (national or international as well) and in the case of fostering children, the bulk element which makes their life substantially different from their life into an institute is the fact that a family accepts warmly such chidren as their members and does not perform any "welfare assistance" to them, which means only taking care of their conditions without doing anything positive to change it.

Therefore, in order to stress this particular aspect, I thought also in these days that the term "familyhood" might be an effective solution to my problem, although it is not a technically good translation.

What do you think about?

Thanks in advance

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Interesting, and difficult concept.

If you are looking for a technical term to be used in a formal document, I'm not sure I'd vote for "familyhood", but I think it might work nicely in a non-technical, "lay" document.

If you choose the word "familyhood", it would seem to me to be more a focus on the "family", and not the "welcoming" into the family.

I think I need to think about this a bit more, and what might help is if you were to give me an Italian sentence in which you use the concept you want, and maybe that will get rid of a few cobwebs....

giada

italy
    come si dice "accoglienza" nelle scuole?sto traducendo un piano dell'offerta formativa e non so se scrivere "welcoming". E "protocollo di accoglienza"???
    grazie

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Hi all,

Thanks a lot!
    Hi,
    I've heard Host Societies and the Reception of Immigrants.
    A welcoming committee is more like the party of people awaiting a guest of honour.

ElaineG

USA/English
    Anche per accoglienza di clienti da parte di un hotel va bene "reception"?
    Grazie infinite!

Il posto si chiama "reception" (dove c'è un grande banco, e un impiego che prende i tuoi dettagli, ecc.).

Per l'attività, sarebbe meglio parlare di "welcome" o "hospitality", ma dipende (come sempre) dal contesto.

Shivaji

Italian
    I've being doing research on migration issues in the last year, and the word used in English in this context is usaully "welcoming", Centro di accoglienza per migranti is translated as "Welcoming Centre".

Lula_

Italiano-Italia
    Hi everyone,

I am re-opening the thread.

First of all, the term "Welcoming Centre" for migrants does NOT exist, we call them "camps", and guests (refugees/asylum seekers) use the same expression.

Then, I would like to have an advice from you.

Here is the Italian sentence: "[permettere a giovani migranti di] poter essere coinvolti nei percorsi di inclusione sociale sperimentando relazioni e modalità di accoglienza differenti da quelle vissute a scuola"

My attempt: "[...] to be involved into social inclusion paths, that will help them experiencing a different kind of relationships and acceptance from the one they received in school" it sounds horrible to me... can anyone help?!

:)
    Thanks

< Previous | Next >