Accoglienza delegazioni straniere

valericcia

Italian
Salve a tutti,
devo tradurre delle attività del mio stage per una application, tra queste "accoglienza delegazioni straniere".
My try: welcoming of foreign delegations
qualche suggerimento?

Grazie!

• AlabamaBoy

American English
    Forse potresti dire: Greeting and extending hospitality to foreign delegations.

EDIT:
    Why of and not to? Because part of the sentence is understood.

Style 1
    (I) provided greeting and extended hospitality to foreign delegations.
    (I) received foreign delegations.
    (I) provided reception to foreign delegations.

Style 2
    (I was responsible for) receiving foreign delegations.
    (I was responsible for) greeting and extending hospitality to foreign delegations.
    (I was responsible for the) reception of foreign delegations.

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    Is there more to the sentence? I think your attempt is good but it could be other things also:
    Welcoming foreign delegations (without of)
    Receiving foreign delegations (to me this sounds better since welcoming could sound a little like you're standing there, saying hello and not much else :))

valericcia

Italian
    Thanks a lot!Well actually when you receive a delegation is pretty much standing and smiling, but I also cared for the hospitality so I think that Greeting and extending hospitality to foreign delegations is the better one. Thanks again!

AlabamaBoy

American English
    It can be used with "to" if you change the sentence. Please see post #2 above. It is wrong in the above example because of what is understood (sotto inteso) in the sentence. By itself, reception of foreign delegations means: I was responsible for the reception of foreign delegations. You can say "Provided reception to foreign delegations", but in this case the word "provided" is required.

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    You're not wrong. Reception to is the same as response to in this context. When receiving visitors it is always reception of.

Edit: AB if you look at Alix's link you'll see he's referring to a different use of the word.

ALEX1981X

Banned
    Italian
    You're not wrong. Reception to is the same as response to in this context. When receiving visitors it is always reception of.

Edit: AB if you look at Alex's link you'll see he's referring to a different use of the word.

Ok Guys...in brief it all depends on how you formulate the sentence

I was in charge of the reception (noun) of the tourists
    (I was responsible for) greeting (noun ?) and extending hospitality to foreign delegations.
    What about : Provided reception of foreign delegations ??

Non so se sono stato chiaro ! Forse mi manca un passaggio ragazzi ! :)

rrose17

Canada, English
    I guess it's not too informal. You could say
    Responsible to meet and greet foreign delegations.

Edit: AB I also thought it was too informal at first but if put into context as above I think it's ok.

< Previous | Next >