accommodate / deal with

Sophie Nomade

French
Hello to everyone,
This forum is a wonderful tool... I've only been using it for a short time, but I really find it very useful.

The context is the following. We are talking about third sector organizations (TSOs) and about a figure explaining their "position" in the economy and society. The figure shows that there are overlapping areas with other sectors (the public sector, the informal sector,...), and we want to stress the fact that these overlapping areas in the figures are useful to deal with the fact that TSOs can have very diverse forms and logics. The development is divided into sections, and the title of one of the sections is:

"Overlapping areas as a tool to accommodate/deal with diversity in TSOs’ logics and behaviours"

Do "accomodate" or "deal with" make sense in this context and sentence? Any better proposal?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sophie Nomade

French
    By "logics", we mean more or less the way in which they act and react, the elements on which their decisions are based, etc.
    We could for example talk about a "market-oriented logics", and that would refer to a profit-maximizing behaviour.
    I hope this makes it clearer... :)

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Thanks for the explanation. "Logics" with the meaning you have described is not at all idiomatic in American English (AE). You might consider behavior/behaviour. It's not exactly the same, but it will be easily understood, at least in terms of the part about acting and reacting.

Deal with is direct and clear. Accommodate has many meanings, and may give the impression that you have to reconcile yourselves to the organizations. I would avoid it because the meaning will be ambiguous in a short title.

Sophie Nomade

French
    Thank you for your help!
    Instead of "logics", would "rationales" then be appropriate? I need something to reflect the fact that we are considering their diversity also in terms of the types of elements, the criteria they take into account when making a decision...
    Thank you very much in advance!

< Previous | Next >