accommodate the circumstances to

Zuccherro

Arabic
Hello

Here's the sentence I'm writing:

"They work behind the scenes, to accommodatethe surrounding circumstances to our wishes and fancies, and give us memories that last forever."

Is the use of the word accomodate correct here?
or is there a better word to convey the meaning with more precision ...

• MilkyBarKid

British English
    'they' adapt the surrounding circumstances to accommodate our wishes and fancies.

(I'm not sure that even adapt is the correct word, because I can't envision what they are actually doing to these 'surrounding circumstances'.)

wandle

English - British
    The problem is that circumstances are generally seen as those factors which are beyond human control. It would be much more natural to say:
    "They work behind the scenes, accommodating the arrangements to our wishes and fancies, giving us memories that last for ever."

Kotuku33

French & English, Alberta, Canada
    Reopening this thread as I too am trying to figure out whether it is possible to accommodate something "to" something else. My example: "I am asthmatic and my body needs to accommodate to the environment in my home rather than my modifying that environment in response to the asthma.” (i.e. it's up to the person to "toughen up" their body in response to an environment that not ideal for them as an asthmatic rather than making the environment more sterile to get the asthma under control)

My sense is that this construction is not correct and "accommodate" needs to be changed to "adapt".

Thanks in advance!

< Previous | Next >