accommodate

Masis

Bulgarian
Operations within its borders, and '' raids'' beyond, could be accommodated within the agricultural timetable and without major economic dislocation; but as the frequency and range of Assyrian military operations increased, as under Salmaneser III, stresses developed.

Hello. Please help me with this word accommodate here. Maybe it means co - ordinate, harmonize. Or it means like this: This house can accommodate 12 person only. What you think? This is about the pre - reformed assyrian army. The author says that it was drawn mainly from the peasantry and that because of that harvest was ripped in May, the soldiers were called up by July. Thanks for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • ewie

English English
    You mean a-c-c-o-m-m-o-d-a-t-e? Always spelt with 2 x c, 2 x m, and an o after the last m.

Last edited:

Masis

Bulgarian
    Yes exactly. I already edited the text. What is your opinion about this word here?

Masis

Bulgarian
    Thanks. So mine first option is the correct one. Because the socond one much in the context too. That happen very often with english translation and understanding. Because the words have many meanings

snozboz

English - British
    I think you've understood it fairly well. Accommodate (note the second 'o' and 'm') comes from the noun "accommodation" literally meaning a place for people to stay. But it is used, particularly in formal written English, in a much broader sense: it means "a space could be made for [it]". So in your sentence, space [time] was made for [operations and raids] within [the agricultural timetable].

You can even find "the peasants made an accommodation with the military commanders to spend several months as soldiers", though such usage sounds very passive to me. I prefer to write in the active mode, even in academic essays. So I would have written:
    "The peasant soldiers participated in military action without disrupting the agricultural timetable and without any major economic changes."

Masis

Bulgarian
    Thanks this sound very good, and however it does not change the sense of sentense. Very good job.

< Previous | Next >