accommodation and cooptation

meramli

turkish
from Islam In revolution R.Hrair Dekmejian

The political manifestations of fundamentalism and its propensity for violence induce state policy responses ranging from repression to accommodation and cooptation.

what is 'accommodation and cooptation', in dictionaries there are lots of meanings of them but I couldn't find the suitable ones.

• e2efour

UK English
    Accommodation seems to mean "living with/adapting to it (fundamentalism)".
    I have never seen cooptation, but the word co-option can mean assimilation, according to some dictionaries.

meramli

turkish
    Accommodation seems to mean "living with/adapting to it (fundamentalism)".
    I have never seen cooptation, but the word co-option can mean assimilation, according to some dictionaries.
    I've found an explanation but i couldn't understand the sentences, 'Accommodation is adapting ones own perspective to concur with that of the dominant, which can lead to the moral failure of overlooking oppression. Co-optation involves taking on the projects of the dominant group as ones own, which is the moral failing of participating in oppression.'

to this text, what do accommodation and co-optation mean? if it will be helper, i can give the link of site which i find this text

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    To co-opt (the proper spelling includes the hyphen) means to take as one's own (it's definition #2 in the WR dictionary). Co-optation is the noun that means the process of co-opting.

The sentence means that the state may respond to fundamentalism in any of three ways: (1) repress it; (2) live with it; (3) take it as its own policy.

< Previous | Next >