accommodation [pronunciation]

daniar

Bulgarian
Hello native English speakers.
Can ' accommodation ' be pronounced with the stress on the second syllable? I thought that all words ending in - ation and - ition have the primary stress on the ei and it part or two primary stresses. Nevertheless, I found several Bulgarian dictionaries and sites on the Internet that say ' accommodation' is pronounced [ əˈkɒmədeɪʃ(ə)n]. What do you think?
Thank you in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, not normally. I suppose if you had a bunch of -ation words you could shift the primary stress back to distinguish them better: the project is built on the three principles of estimation, accommodation, and procrastination.

gramman

This might be informative:

In the word accommodation there is a secondary accent upon the second syllable, both the ac and com are short, but the voice manifestly rests upon the com, accelerating the delivery of the unaccented ac to reach it, and sensibly altering the relative duration of the two syllables. In Greek, however, we are expected habitually to perform feats, such as pronouncing the word intermediate, with the tonic accent on the second t, which must be kept short, while the e and a are still made long. English verse is measured by the distribution of accented and unaccented syllables, the former being equivalent to long and the latter to short syllables in classic verse. — The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (Google eBook)

Macmillan's page has this:

əˌkɑməˈdeɪʃ(ə)n

< Previous | Next >