accommodation unit

Ella_Ella

Romanian
Hello, everyone,

I'd like to know if there's a generic term or phrase for hotels, boarding houses, hostels, etc.? What would you use to include all of these categories? Does "accommodation unit" sound right to you? Or do you have other suggestions?

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    I think "accommodations" would be better than "accommodation unit", Ella_Ella. You can also use the word "lodgings".

Ella_Ella

Romanian
    Thank you, owlman 5.
    More info about the context: it's an offer of bedding for hotels and the like. It goes something like this:

"We provide top quality products for any category of [accommodation units]. Contact us now for a customized offer."

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. Here's my suggestion for the sentence: We provide top-quality products for any kind of lodgings.

You should wait for more opinions from other members. I think "rooms" might be better than "lodgings", but I'd like to see what others think.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    In BE we simply say "accommodation" (singular) to mean any type of rooms in hotels/guest houses/hostels etc in which anyone might stay.

Elwintee

England English
    In BE we simply say "accommodation" (singular) to mean any type of rooms in hotels/guest houses/hostels etc in which anyone might stay.
    Agreed. I would add that in BE 'lodgings' is an old-fashioned term and has down-market associations. People who live(d) in someone's private house, usually with one room and use of a kettle, are/were called 'lodgers'.

< Previous | Next >