Senior Member
I’ve always used the word “accommodation” talking about temporary lodgings. Could it be also used for permanent lodgings? For example, if my parents pay for my marriage and my “flat or house”, can I say:
“My parents provided for my marriage and my accommodation”
Thank you.
  • Jeffy Jay

    Senior Member
    I wouldn't go that far. It does sound like they're paying for your hotel room.

    You could say, My parents provided for my marriage and accommodate my rent.

    Accommodating your rent gives it the air of them paying for your residence and not a hotel.


    Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    'Accommodating my rent' sounds odd to BrE ears :)
    Maybe 'My parents provided the funds for my wedding and are helping me with the purchase/rental of a house/flat'.

    I agree that 'accommodation' sounds like a hotel room!


    Senior Member
    English - US
    I don't like it either.
    I assume by "provided my marriage" that you mean "paid for my wedding" not "found a bride for me" and "provided my accommodation" means "pay my rent" not "found an apartment for me".
    If they paid for your wedding in the past and they pay for your apartment every month continuing into the present, I don't think you're going to be able to make a sentence using a single verb.
    "My parents paid for my (our) wedding and have paid for my (our) apartment since then."
    < Previous | Next >