Accommodation

Petule83

Czech
Hello, can somebody tell me if this following sentence is possible in English?

" We booked there really beautiful accommodation."

I'm not sure about this phrase,it sounds me a little strange.

Thanks for your help!

• Barque

Tamil
    Welcome to the forum.

I'd change the word order. We booked really beautiful accommodation there. I assume this is what you mean and "there" refers to a place mentioned earlier in the conversation.

Petule83

Czech
    I was wondering if this term "book accommodation" is used in english this way. I'm not sure if it sounds in english. Thanks for your help.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's not commonly used that way in American English. It might be more common in other places.

Uncle Jack

British English
    "Book" is the usual verb in British English for reserving accommodation or tickets, and is quite often used for reserving a table at a restaurant as well.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    And you might be aware that there is a large online site for booking accommodation called booking.com! (It was founded in Holland - or, properly, the Netherlands.)

natkretep

Accommodations is commonly used in AE but not in BE.
    Certainly not current BrE, but Jane Austen did write accommodations, for example:

After securing accommodations, and ordering a dinner at one of the inns, the next thing to be done was unquestionably to walk directly down to the sea. (Persuasion, Chapter 11 - published in 1817, shortly after Jane Austen's death)

kentix

English - U.S.
    When I said we don't commonly (not never) say it that way I meant both parts. We don't usually say book nor do we usually say accommodation, with or without the s.

We make reservations for hotel rooms or other places to stay.

- "Have you reserved a hotel room yet?"
    " We booked there really beautiful accommodation." - "We made reservations at a really beautiful hotel."

- Where are you eating dinner the first night?
    - We have reservations at a fancy French restaurant.

Booking.com does advertise heavily here but we'd still use it to make reservations.

Petule83

Czech
    Why is necessary to use "make reservations" ? I can say "we made a reservation at a really beautiful hotel". (one reservation in one hotel)

natkretep

I say, 'We've made a booking at the hotel' using the singular. Somehow, 'reservations' doesn't sound right in my variety for hotels, but I can say, 'I've made reservations for two tickets' or 'I've made a reservation for two tickets' - the singular and plural are fine, with no difference in meaning.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Why is necessary to use "make reservations" ?
    That's not the only way we say it but it is a very common way.:)

Google Ngram Viewer

Here are a couple of examples from COCA:
    - Pick your favorite chef or cuisine and make reservations, particularly if it's a hot spot.
    - Or make reservations and let your favorite restaurant do all the work.

I can say "we made a reservation at a really beautiful hotel". (one reservation in one hotel)
    Yes, you could say that, too.

< Previous | Next >