accommodation

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
Please tell me if the two sentences express the same meaning?
1.The orchestra is looking for somewhere else to perform.
2.The orchestra is looking for another accommodation to perform.
Thank you.

• mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi,
    ac‧com‧mo‧da‧tion
    1 [uncountable] also accommodations American English a place for someone to stay, live, or work:
    The dictionary says "accommodation is a place for someone to stay, live or work"
    so I understand that "accommodation is also a place to work.
    In this case, accommodation is a place to perform, to play.
    I shouldn't have thought like that.

Lexiphile

England English
    Yes, accommodation sounds as though they're looking for someone's hotel room to perform in.

One often speaks of an orchestra's "home" or where it is "based" -- the concert hall where it performs when it is not on tour. Is your orchestra looking for a new home or for new places to tour to?

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Lexiphile, for your explanation.
    It is not my orchestra. All is in my imagination to practise two words "somewhere else" and "accommodation". :)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Accommodation" is not often used to refer to a place to work these days. It is most often used to refer to lodging. I suppose it is sometimes used in a meaning similar to "installation" or "facilities."

In my opinion, the second sentence would be very confusing to AE speakers.

Lexiphile

England English
    Thank you, Lexiphile, for your explanation.
    It is not my orchestra. All is in my imagination to practise two words "somewhere else" and "accommodation". :)
    I didn't really suppose that it was literally "your" orchestra, but your reply is instructive. If your aim is to use "accommodation," then perhaps it would be wise to forget the orchestra (whose accommodation really might be hotel rooms) and its performances.

When there is a trade fair in the town where I am working, all the hotels are full, so I have to find accommodation somewhere else.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    so I have to find accommodation somewhere else.
    Hi, Lexiphile.
    It is very interesting to see the words (colour word) because they are the words I am looking for and I doubt about most.
    Would you please tell me why they can stand in the same phrase?

Lexiphile

England English
    Accommodation is a noun. "somewhere else" (or "elsewhere") is an adverb modifying "find". The positioning perfectly normal for such constructions:

I found Bill at home.
    I found my wife in bed with the milkman.
    I sometimes find accommodation in the arches under the railway bridge.
    Other times I find it somewhere else.

(No doubt there will now be lots of posts insisting that these phrases are adjectival modifying, respectively, Bill, my wife and the accommodation. I shall not enter the argument, since it makes no diffrence to your question.)

< Previous | Next >