accompany to/ for/ on

s21d

hindi
I accompanied my friend to/ for/ on shopping.

We use 'to' preposition after the word accompany, when it is about a place but here in case of gerund, what should be the correct preposition?

• owlman5

English-US
    I think adding a couple of words to your sentence would improve it, s21d: I accompanied my friend on a shopping trip.

Here's another version: I accompanied my friend when she went shopping.

Here's my final suggestion. I think it's the most natural way to say this: I went shopping with my friend.

owlman5

English-US
    That sentence doesn't sound natural to me, Igr. This version is better: I accompanied my friends when they went shopping. Or: I accompanied my friends on a shopping trip.

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, almostgal.

I accompanied my friend to shopping" Is not it grammatical?
    I don't think it's grammatical. I'm not sure about British English, but I've never heard this construction in American English.

If I wanted to talk about something that I did often, I'd use this version: I used to accompany my friend when she went shopping. Or: I used to accompany my friend on shopping trips.

None of the versions that use "to shopping" sound normal to me.

almostgal

Thank you owlman5, but I thought, "shopping" is an activities of buying something. What about these sentences

I will go shopping with you later.
    We will go to shopping tomorrow / we will go to shop tomorrow/we will go shopping tomorrow.
    you go to shop and buy me packet of cigarette.

Why Does "to shopping" is not grammatical? would you clarify?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome.

Thank you owlman5, but I thought, "shopping" is an activities of buying something.
    It is.

I will go shopping with you later.
    This sentence is normal.
    We will go shopping tomorrow.
    This sentence is normal.
    We will go to shop tomorrow.
    This sentence is possible but unusual. I rarely hear "to shop" rather than "shopping" in this type of sentence: I will go shopping tomorrow. :thumbsup: I will go to shop tomorrow. (unusual).
    We will go to shopping tomorrow
    This sentence is not normal.

Why Does "to shopping" is not grammatical? would you clarify?
    I can only tell you that "I will accompany you to shopping" is not normal in American English. Grammar rules and idiomatic phrases are really arbitrary. I'm not sure why English-speakers in the U.S. don't use this structure, but I've never heard anybody use "to shopping" after "accompany" in the U.S.

owlman5

English-US
    That sentence doesn't sound normal to me, dumbfounded. This version sounds normal: I accompanied my friend on a shopping trip.

< Previous | Next >