Accompanying/Along with it was a card,

philanguy

MotherEarth;Chinese
Hi,

--Are the following two versions all but identical in meaning to you and equally idiomatic? Many thanks to you.

--One day about a week before Christmas, Charlotte handed George a colorful package. Along with it was a card, which said, "Merry Christmas to my good friend."
-- ...Accompanying it was a card, ...

• verbivore

Banned
    USA, English
    Well, semantics are always tricky, BUT I'll give it try. In this instance, "accompanying" does not sound idiomatic. The reason is that its use implies things that "normally" go together, or people going someplace together. "Along with it" has the connotation of things that are added to form a group that may or may not normally go together.

philanguy

MotherEarth;Chinese
    Well, semantics are always tricky, BUT I'll give it try. In this instance, "accompanying" does not sound idiomatic. The reason is that its use implies things that "normally" go together, or people going someplace together. "Along with it" has the connotation of things that are added to form a group that may or may not normally go together.
    Many thanks to you verbivore.

Got it!
    By the way, I notice that you use "added" so I wonder if it works to say "Adding to it was a card,.."

verbivore

Banned
    USA, English
    As you have written, "adding to it was a card", is incorrect. What you had before is just fine. Take care.

Esca

ATX
    USA - English
    I personally think that either "along with it" or "accompanying it" would be entirely appropriate and idiomatic in this instance.
    "Accompanying," however, is a big word, so most people would use it in writing but not in everyday speech.
    I understand the distinction verbivore was making, but, in fact, a card and a present ARE things that "normally go together"!

"Adding to it was a card" doesn't make sense.

verbivore

Banned
    USA, English
    Actually, a card and a gift do not always go together now do they? :) They are purchased separately, and sometimes a gift is given without a card and vice versa.

< Previous | Next >