Hi!

Would that be

to do...
to perform...
to accomplish...
to fulfil...

... ones duty

?

I suspect several of them to be usable but I'm not too sure.

• Suehil

Medemod
    British English
    'Perform one's duty' is possible but I think 'to do one's duty' is the most usual. "England expects that every man will do his duty"
    The others could, in some circumstances, be used; it would depend on the context.

pieanne

Belgium/French
    Isn't there a slight difference between "do" and "perform", here?
    To me, "do one's duty" has a slight unsavory savour, like in "faites ce que vous avez à faire". I feel "perform one's duty" is more... neutral?

Suehil

Medemod
    British English
    It can have, I agree. It depends so heavily on context that I don't think there is much point in debating the issue without examples.

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    Nil will tell...
    Okay, okay, here comes the prophet! :p

I have chosen "to perform". It's for a dedicated cop who tells his commander that he refuses to take a few days off work because he would rather perform his duty.

BTW I have already posted this chapter of my story about half an hour ago. But the forum allows edition, so it is still possible to fix it, of course.

robzuck

USA, English
    in the 1950s in the usa, we cub scouts pledged: "to do my duty to god and my country, to be square (!), and to obey the law of the pack."

i think there's a small difference between 'perform' and 'do' in tghis sense - 'do one's duty' is more generic, more general, whereas 'perform one's duty' tends to refer to specific tasks, jobs, etc. or maybe i'm just too old.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    in the 1950s in the usa, we cub scouts pledged: "to do my duty to god and my country, to be square (!), and to obey the law of the pack."

i think there's a small difference between 'perform' and 'do' in tghis sense - 'do one's duty' is more generic, more general, whereas 'perform one's duty' tends to refer to specific tasks, jobs, etc. or maybe i'm just too old.
    It sounds to me as though there's a difference between British and American English then. To perform one's duty would sound distinctly odd in British English, where we are always very careful to do our duty, of course.

< Previous | Next >